Monday, January 4, 2010

Wicked


I've spent the last few years of my life playing the Wicked Witch of the West. Ok well really it's been more like 10 years or more. Ok fine, it's been my damn career since I can remember. That's beside the point.

What really matters here is, just how Wicked have I been? And in me being so Wicked, what has it cost me?

Though I look more like the Good Witch than the Bad, I'd have to say I've played out the part fairly well. I can scare the hell out of you. Seriously. Only takes one look. I can tear you down with the rest of them. In fact, I probably started every rumor you've ever heard about yourself. I am highly capable of bringing copious amounts of tears to your eyes. I am even better at making you feel ashamed for expressing emotion than I am at getting you to express emotion. I would scratch. Bite. Claw. And cackle. I've been known to kick little boys in the balls, make grown men cry and strip women of the little self-esteem they have left.

But no more. I'm tired of being mean. Turns out, somewhat like Elphie, I have a heart. One that beats with passion, intensity and purpose. Not saying I'm walking (or better yet flying) away from that role completely, just that the intensity I once had to make you feel worthless has left the building. So though I will still wear the black hat and my cackle can be heard throughout the streets of North Beach, I will no longer send my flying monkeys after you. I'll just bop you on the head with my broom instead.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'll never be able to forget you Steph, I'll always have my scar!

    Ok, on a serious note, Good for you.

    ReplyDelete