Thursday, December 17, 2009

You've Got Mail


It's that time of year again when people start mailing out Christmas cards to each other in hopes of sending holiday spirit to people they don't really talk to throughout the year. In the past I've been pretty lucky and received some amazing cards from friends and family around the world. This year though...it's all junk. Yea, I said it.

I've had more than a few friends get married over the last 12 months. These once single gals were some of the best card writers and senders I had ever met. I'm talking one of a kind, sometimes hand-crafted, beautifully written cards full of love, laughter and memories. I too sent out only the best of the best to these beautiful ladies, fondly recalling good times and expressing ever-lasting fromance (friend romance, kinda like bromance). But this year, you know what I got? SPAM.

I arrive home after a looooooong day yesterday and retrieve the mail. Low and behold there are a few X-Mas cards for my delightful eyes. I open them with anticipation and you know what I get? A generic, happy holidays, we just got married, two become one crap kind of a card. No personal message. No actual signature. No "Love" or "Dear Stephanie". No personalization what so ever. I get not one but TWO cards plastered with snapshots of the loving couples wedding day (by the way, I was there and saw it, you don't have to send me a card with more pics) and the inevitable so AND so signature. You know the one: "Sarah & John" or "Jack, Lisa & ____(insert child's name here)". Gross.

Now I know the couple's mentality isn't one I've been accustomed to for the last few years, but I never thought my oldest friends would resort to the We Syndrome. I'll still love them and send them personalized cards full of memories. And when they open my card to a lap-full of glitter, maybe they'll think twice before mass-mailing me.


1 comment:

  1. Steph, this is Alli.
    hahahahahaha. Great post. i dont do christmas cards. i'm just not good at them. But I like getting them!

    Love the blog (I've been blogging secretly for almost 3 years) but i've given up that blog, and just started a new one yesterday. I guess i haven't really started it yet, cause I haven't written my first post.
    We need to talk more. Seriously

    ReplyDelete