Saturday, February 27, 2010

What's in a Name?



Some labels, such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Hermes are considered good labels. They are branded as sophisticated, elegant and noble. Unfortunately, there are some labels that one would rather do without....

Let's take a look at the names or labels I've had over the years:

Pagel's Girlfriend
Stephanie The Pi Phi
Baseball Card (loooong story)
The Mayor

It's funny what others call you when they speak of you to strangers or friends. I've had some of the above labels affectionately used for years. For example, Stephanie The Pi Phi was my main moniker for at least my first two years of sorority life and I fondly recall the nickname because it takes me back to a very fun, innocent and exciting time. The Mayor is a current label used to denote my status in the neighborhood. It's sassy and represents a certain level of notoriety that I love.

But recently I was referred to as The Blonde.

Now, I get it. I mean, I don't have a job and I have no real characteristics to differentiate myself. The only issue I have is that I was cross referenced to The Nurse. Obviously I'm not The Nurse. Now the real root of the problem: the third party was well aware of The Nurse but not The Blonde. Ouch. Turns out being compared to the other woman doesn't sit well with me.

As I mentioned, some labels are good and some are bad. Labels sometimes go out of style or you progress through them as you progress through life, taking on a new one at the next stage. The Blond will only be a temporary label, or at least I hope it's only temporary. Maybe I should dye my hair brunette?

No comments:

Post a Comment